Date: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at Randy Peter’s Catering & Event Center
All the seats were filled as the meeting was called to order. Four of the six candidates running for the two positions of City Council Member were present and in the ‘hot seats’ at the front of the assembly—Krista Bernasconi, Stephanie Dement, Bruce Houdesheldt, and Pauline Roccucci. RCONA emcee Mark Smith made introductions of the candidates present, and turned proceedings over to the moderators from the League of Women Voters of Placer County—Pam Hart and Randi Swisley. They read written candidate statements submitted from the two candidates who were not able to attend the Forum—Sherish Khan and David Larson. The candidates then were invited to give opening statements.
For the next 50 minutes, the audience was pin-drop quiet as the candidates responded to 12 questions from the audience addressing each candidate’s opinions and concerns:
1. Candidate’s position on Measure B.
2. What are key priorities and main issues facing the City.
3. Common sense planning for the City.
4. Marijuana Restrictions.
5. Does partisanship figure into votes (City Council is a non-partisan position).
6. City Charter Updates.
7. Environmental protection.
8. Cost of finding 4-year universities for Roseville.
9. Developer priorities and conflicts.
10. What city groups were endorsing the candidate?
11. Retirement costs vs. recruiting good employees.
12. How to fill Bonnie Gore’s City Council seat which will be vacated.
Candidates finally took a breather to give their closing statements. The moderators had high praise for the quality of questions, responses and excellent manner of the candidates and thanked Werner Kuehn and RCONA for one of the best-ever forums they had participated with.
(photos and video by Doug Kim)